Mabel

Mabel
Sweet Mabel

Friday 6 January 2012

Emma Enjoying her Juicy Fruit!

That fruit would be a clementine. She really relishes clementines. In fact my whole flock does. I thought this was such a funny video because you can really see how much she's enjoying it. At one point she looks like she's just about to inhale it. Emma has no shame! In other latest Emma news~ her new word today is *Happy?* As usual when she decides it's time to publicly add a new word to her vocabularly, she'll use it in every context. For example, Emma would you like some Mashie? Happy? Emma what are you doing? Happy? She understand me perfectly well but at the moment she's fixated on her new word and is very selective about when she'll respond appropriately to a request. She did respond appropriately when I told her that I was leaving for the grocery store and would be buying some apples, almonds... then she interjected to add "and some corn? Of course I paused and finally decided to reply "alright, some corn too. I really don't like to offer corn. Only purchase it in the summer when it's in season at the farmer's market. So while at the grocery store I was in the frozen foods section and remembered Emma's request and found myself debating as to whether I would really buy corn. Keeping my word, won out. I bought my grey girlie some corn.

Anyway back to her new word. I've never heard her use the word Happy until today. She actually says it in a questioning tone as if to ask "Are you happy?" I guess I must say this quite often to her and the other birdies. I was reflecting upon it today to figure out in which context would I use this word so often? I think I figured it out. Occasionally after I give them something they enjoy. Perhaps a treat, a head scritch, a cuddle, etc. I'll then ask them if they are content by saying Happy? There is also the probability that I've also used it in a very sarcastic and irritated manner too. This happens rarely, however it does occur. Like that time when Emma decided it was great fun to fly into the kitchen and land on the flour canister. It was a back and forth situation of perhaps a dozen times where she'd fly to the canister then I'd go and remove her until finally she knocked it over. Then there was flour EVERYWHERE and of course I was not happy. :( I probably snapped outloud "Happy?!!" Anyway, I can never stay irritated with any of my parrots for very long. Especially not Emma. She's truly my heart parrot.







3 comments:

  1. She does look like she's enjoying that clementine!! And I loved her corn comment... smart girl! She must like that a lot too, to ask you to bring it home for her. :) Marcus says "You okay?" rather like it sounds like Emma is starting to use "Happy?" It's the phrase he uses to fill the silence, or to check up on me if I'm apparently too preoccupied with other things for his liking. :)

    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sounds like you're very attentive to Marcus's needs and this is why he is reciprocating. :) Marcus is equally as smart as he is handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why thank you! I know he thinks so, too. ;)

    I hope you and your flock have a great day!

    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete